If you don’t eat eggs or just want to start your day with plants, you definitely need this omelet in your eating repertoire. It’s absolutely one of my favorite breakfast indulgences that’s 100% plant-based … and 100% delicious. Plus, it’s easier and quicker to fix than it seems!
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (42 grams)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened peppermint tea or H2O, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sumac and/or turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 small fresh mint leaves
- 1 ounce plant-based feta or goat cheese (3 tablespoons crumbled; optional)
- 1 ounce fresh organic baby spinach (1 cup packed)
- 8 grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, pan-toasted
- 2 teaspoons harissa sauce or 2 lemon wedges (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, tea, 1 teaspoon of the oil, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt, sumac and/or turmeric, and pepper. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
- Fully heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a well-seasoned cast iron or other stick-resistant medium (10-inch/25.4-centimeter) skillet over medium heat. Hint: If necessary, use a little more oil to help prevent sticking.
- Pour in the chickpea mixture, top with the mint leaves, and cook until just firm on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip over; immediately top entire surface with the plant-based cheese (if using), baby spinach, tomatoes, tahini, lemon juice, pine nuts, and the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon salt; and cook until the bottom of the “omelet” is golden and firm, about 3 minutes.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate using the skillet’s edge to help fold it. If desired, serve with harissa or lemon wedges on the side.
- Serving Size: 1 omelet
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 2g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: plant-based breakfast, plant-based brunch, plant-based eggs, plant-based omelet, chickpea eggs, vegan breakfast, vegetarian breakfast