- 1 cup (200 grams) uncooked farro or other whole grain
- 2 jasmine green tea bags or other variety, paper tab removed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon, juice and zest (3 tablespoons juice), divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups packed (70 grams) fresh baby arugula
- 1 1/4 cups (170 grams) chopped English cucumber
- 1/3 cup packed (13 grams) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) “fun ingredient” of choice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (45 grams) no-shells sea salt-and-vinegar pistachios or roasted salted pistachios
- 4 ounces herbed soft plant-based cheese, crumbled or rolled into small balls (optional)
- Prepare whole grain per package directions, adding tea bags into the pan just before covering it to simmer. After the whole grain is fully cooked, remove the tea bags and drain off excess liquid. (Makes about 2 1/2 cups/475 grams cooked grains.)
- Transfer the cooked whole grain to a heatproof container or bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt; set aside to cool for about 30 minutes. Then cover and chill in the container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the lemon zest, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add the chilled grains and stir to combine. Add the arugula, cucumber, mint, and basil and stir to combine. Add the avocado and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and gently fold together. Adjust seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, platter, or individual plates. Sprinkle with the “fun ingredient,” pistachios and, if desired, plant-based cheese, and serve.
Per serving: 200 calories, 10g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate, 4.5g dietary fiber, 4g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 6g protein
- Serving Size: about 1 cup (130 grams) each