General Tso’s Sauce (Hint: can make in advance & chill!)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened green tea
- 3 tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos*
- 3 tablespoons coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened or fruit-sweetened ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons natural sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon organic (or non-GMO) cornstarch
Veggies + Tofu Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or avocado oil, divided
- 4 cups cauliflower pieces (any color), including florets, leaves and/or stalks, or other seasonal veggies
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) package organic extra-firm tofu, drained, squeezed well, and cut into wedges or cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic (or non-GMO) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
To Serve (Hint: can make rice in advance & reheat!)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (or cauliflower rice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the General Tso’s Sauce ingredients. Set aside (or make in advance and chill!)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Add the veggies and stir-fry until crisp-tender (timing varies). Set aside in a large skillet over low heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the wok over high heat. In a large bowl, gently but quickly toss tofu with the cornstarch, shake off any excess, add to the wok, and stir-fry until golden brown. Using a large slotted spoon or tongs, transfer tofu to a paper towel-line platter.
- In the hot wok, stir-fry the garlic, ginger, and white part of the scallions until fully fragrant, about 30 seconds; add the General Tso’s Sauce and bring to a full boil. Add the tofu and green part of the scallions and stir-fry until well coated with slightly thickened sauce, about 1 minute.
- In bowls, arrange the tofu stir-fry alongside the cauliflower (or toss them together). Serve with rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
*This recipe is high in sodium. To reduce sodium, use reduced sodium tamari (soy sauce) – and use less of it.
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 680
- Sugar: 21g (includes 15g added sugars)
- Sodium: 1220mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 91g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: stir-fry, stirfry, plant-based stir-fry, plant-based stirfry, general tso's, general tso's tofu, caulilfower, vegan chinese recipe, plant-based chinese recipe