What exactly is fuchsia fun sauce? It’s just an easy roasted beet sauce. But I prefer my name for it because, after all, it’s fuchsia, it’s fun, and it’s a sauce!
- 1 medium-large (10-ounce) organic red beet, roasted*, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened peppermint or green tea, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini or almond butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Purée all ingredients in a blender until velvety smooth. Enjoy as a sauce now (warm or cool)–or store in a jar in the fridge up to 5 days for later.
- Delicious tossed with freshly-prepared gnocchi or pasta; dolloped over practically anything grilled; and enjoyed as a dip, veggie burger condiment, or a grain bowl drizzle sauce. Or see Notes below for delightful variations.
*TO ROAST A MEDIUM-LARGE BEET: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wrap the beet in recycled aluminum foil. Roast until cooked through, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes (or chill in the fridge overnight). Then carefully remove foil and scrape off the beet skin with a paring knife.
RECIPE VARIATIONS: Try these ideas with part of or the entire sauce recipe.
1) Whisk in a big splash of balsamic vinegar and serve as a salad dressing.
2) Whisk in a generous squirt of lime juice to enjoy as salsa. Tip: If you plan to use the entire recipe in a Mexican preparation, you can swap a handful of fresh cilantro in place of the basil in the main recipe.
3) Blend in some avocado and/or chickpeas to create a thick and creamy dip.
For any variation, you can always make a thinner consistency with additional unsweetened tea or add more taste by adding a pinch or two of extra salt.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, American
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 110
- Sugar: 4g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 280mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sauce, beets, roasted beet, vegan sauce, plant-based sauce, fuchsia food, plant-based recipe, easy recipes,