Focaccia-style skillet chickpea flatbread is one of those recipes that you didn’t know you needed… until now! Focaccia is a flat leavened bread from Italy. Socca is a chickpea flatbread (unleavened bread) with origins in Italy and France. And this fun-to-make, focaccia-style skillet chickpea flatbread is from my very own kitchen!
- 1/3 cup (47 grams) chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large garlic clove, extra-thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon flaky or coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together the flour, water, 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the rosemary, the lemon juice, baking soda, and fine sea salt. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes to allow ingredients to marry.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a 6-inch cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium heat, add the garlic slices and cook until just turning golden brown (lightly caramelized), about 2 minutes. Transfer the garlic using tongs or a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
- Over medium heat, in the garlic-infused oil that remains in the skillet, pour in the batter, and quickly spread it out to form a 6-inch diameter round. Cook until browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes, drizzling with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil just before flipping over. Flip over, immediately making several deep impressions (holes) with a heat-proof chopstick, and cook until browned and cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes more.
- Transfer the focaccia to a plate, sprinkle with caramelized garlic slices, flaky sea salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary and, if using, the sesame seeds. Cut into quarters to serve.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Category: Breads
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 skillet (4 wedges)
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 2g includes 0g added sugars
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: socca, focaccia, chickpeas, flatbread, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, skillet recipes, gluten-free recipes, plant-based recipes