Meet my election day happy hour blueberry-ginger cocktail. It was inspired by a couple of my girlfriends after I told them that I’d create a new cocktail recipe for our election day Zoom happy hour. Thankfully they left the creativity up to me. The only request was that it be something that can go into a martini glass. So here it is!
And here’s why I chose what I chose: Blueberries represent optimism (blue is the Democratic party color too, of course). Ginger is used for good luck. Mint symbolizes wisdom. Lemon is for purification and friendship. Cardamom stands for peace. Vodka is just because we’ve lived through the last four years!
Yep, it has a Democratic twist. But in the name of unity, all are welcome to toast with this election day happy hour blueberry-ginger cocktail. Cheers to us all!
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries, preferably wild (3 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 5 large fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces American-made vodka (like Tito’s Handmade, Square One, or Crop Harvest Earth Organic)
- 2 1/2 fluid ounces natural lemon-mint soda, sparkling lemonade, or ginger ale*
- In a blender, fully puree all ingredients except the soda.**
- Add the soda to the blender, then strain the cocktail through a fine mesh strainer into a chilled martini glass, pressing the contents through the strainer.
- Garnish with a few blueberries or a fresh mint sprig, if desired.
*If you prefer/need to choose a sugar-free soda, try Zevia zero-calorie mixers or sodas.
**In step 1, if you need, drizzle a little bit of the soda into the blender to help the puree process.
p.s. After straining, keep the remaining blueberry peels; whirl into a vinaigrette or smoothie.