- 16 (2/3-inch-thick) diagonal slices whole grain French baguette
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon naturally-brewed soy sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large (5-inch) portabella mushroom caps, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices (8 ounces)
- 1 recipe Tunisian Carrot Puree (see recipe below)
- 1 cup packed baby leafy green mixture, such as fresh baby arugula and watercress
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Arrange bread slices on a large baking sheet and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes. Set aside
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the mushrooms and toss lightly to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and sauté until fully wilted, about 7 minutes.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the Tunisian Carrot puree on top of each toasted baguette slice. Top with the mushrooms then the leafy green mixture. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 150 calories, 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 19g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 5g sugars, 5g protein
TUNISIAN CARROT PUREE:
12 ounces carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices ~ 2 large cloves garlic, sliced ~ 1 teaspoon harissa paste ~ 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil ~ 1/2 teaspoon sea salt ~ 1/4 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
Add the carrots, garlic, and 2/3 cup cold water to a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until fully softened and no liquid remains, about 20 minutes. (Hint: Add extra water by the tablespoon, if necessary.) Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Transfer the cooked carrots and garlic to a medium bowl, add the harissa, olive oil, salt, and caraway and mash well with a fork into a smooth paste. Chill until ready to serve. Makes 1 cup.
- Serving Size: 2 crostini