If you’re planning to have a picnic — or an indoor picnic — anytime soon, this creamy plant-based macaroni salad recipe is a must-make! (Actually, I personally think it’s a must-make anytime you feel like it!)
- 8 ounces organic macaroni or campanelle pasta
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 3 tablespoons drained, minced pepperoncini or other pickled peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup veggies of choice (I used extra-thinly sliced fennel stalks and freshly roasted red bell pepper)
- 1/3 cup arugula microgreens or finely chopped arugula leaves
- 1 or 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Cook the macaroni using my “lid-cooking” technique: Bring (salted) water to a boil; stir in pasta; bring back to a boil; cover with lid; turn off heat; let it “lid cook” undisturbed for the exact time suggested on the package. That’s it!
- Drain the pasta, add to a medium bowl, and stir with 3 to 4 large ice cubes until cooled to room temperature. Drain well of any excess liquid. Chill.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mayo, pepperoncini, vinegar, mustard, and salt until well combined. Add the cool macaroni and veggies of choice and stir to combine.
- When ready to serve, fold in the arugula microgreens and scallion. If desired, top with additional arugula microgreens to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 2g includes 1g added sugars
- Sodium: 630
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: macaroni salad, picnic food, comfort food, plant-based comfort, pasta, plant-based recipe