- 4 ounces soft cashew cheese or soft goat cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup plain plant-based Greek-style yogurt or low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 slices bakery-style Italian bread (baguette), toasted or grilled*
- 1 recipe pear-thyme “compote” (see below)
- ¼ cup chopped pan-toasted walnuts or roasted pistachios
- 3 tablespoons fresh pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar or honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together the cashew cheese, yogurt, and salt. (Hint: Add more yogurt if you prefer a looser topping.)
- Top the toast slices with the cashew cheese mixture; arrange on a platter.
- Arrange the pear “compote” on the toasts, ideally one pear slice each.
- Sprinkle with the nuts, pomegranate arils, coconut nectar, and sea salt flakes, and serve.
Per serving: 160 calories, 6g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 24g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 9g total sugars includes 2g added sugars, 5g protein
*For extra wholesomeness, choose whole grain, fruit-nut, or seeded baguette or batard. For extra richness, brush bread slices with extra-virgin olive oil before oven-toasting or grilling.
PEAR-THYME “COMPOTE”: 2 teaspoons coconut nectar or honey + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt + 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + 1 (15-ounce) can sliced pears in pear juice from concentrate, well-drained + 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut nectar, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the sliced pears and thyme; stir to combine. Ideally, let stand for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain before topping toasts.
- Serving Size: 1 bruschetta