Makes 3 servings: 1 banana split each
The grilled banana provides an extra special touch in this reinvented banana split. It’s designed to be served as a petite dessert for three. Each person gets one of the flavors—strawberry, chocolate, or almond. Or, if you’re brave, mix-and-match if you don’t mind the double—or triple—dipping! There’s another option, too. If you have an insatiable sweet tooth, you can actually indulge in this dessert for a non-traditional dinner or a weekend breakfast for one. Seriously … dessert for breakfast! It’s good for you, after all. Though this grilled banana delight has a filling 500 calories if you eat all three of them. Any way you decide to enjoy it, this sweet treat is happiness for the palate.
Calories Saved: 650
1/2 cup sliced fresh or thawed frozen strawberries (or berries of choice)
1/4 teaspoon white or golden balsamic vinegar
1 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey or coconut nectar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large just-ripe banana, unpeeled, washed
2 tablespoons semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate shavings* or chocolate chips
2 tablespoons sliced natural almonds, toasted
- Prepare an outdoor grill or grill pan. Mash with a fork the strawberries and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the yogurt, honey, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Before peeling the banana, cut off each end (about 1/8-inch) and slice in half lengthwise. Spritz the cut surface with canola oil cooking spray. Grill over direct medium-high heat until grill marks form on the cut surfaces, about 2 1/2 minutes (aim for cross-hatch grill marks); grill on the peel side until heated through and the banana begins to separate from the peel, about 5 minutes. Cut each banana half into three pieces and remove from the peels.
- Pour the yogurt into three small dessert dishes or sturdy martini glasses. Top one of yogurt portions with the chocolate, one with the almonds, and one with the strawberry mixture. Insert two of the grilled banana pieces into each dish, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 170 calories, 4.5 g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 27g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 20g sugars, 8g protein
*Make chocolate shavings using a vegetable peeler on a block or bar of chocolate.
The “Before” Recipe
traditional banana split
adapted from chiquitabananas.com
Makes 1 serving
1 scoop each vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream
1 large ripe banana, unpeeled, washed
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup whipped cream topping
3 maraschino cherries
- Arrange the 3 ice cream scoops side by side in an oval deep glass dish.
- Before peeling the banana, cut a small portion (about 1/4 inch) of the ends off of the banana. Slice in half lengthwise. Place each banana half onto each side of the row of ice cream scoops.
- Top the ice cream with the chocolate syrup and walnuts. Top each scoop with a rounded tablespoon squirt of the whipped cream and a cherry, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 820 calories, 36 g total fat, 17g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 90mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 118g total carbohydrate, 7g dietary fiber, 90g sugars, 11g protein
- Don’t just go bananas, grill bananas for caramelized, smoky intrigue
- Mix up nuts and choose your favorites; toast them for extra nuttiness; consider “natural” almonds for eye appeal
- Instead of choosing a flavored dairy, add your own fresh flavors, such as fresh strawberries
- Nothing beats real chocolate