I love avocado toast topped with a crisp fried egg with a runny yolk! But when it’s lunchtime, sometimes I simply want a sandwich. If I didn’t already have avocado toast for breakfast, this is one of my favorite kinds of noon-ish sandwiches.
Frankly, I don’t use a recipe. You can definitely make it without one, too. But I know some of you prefer to follow recipes … especially the first time out. So, I jotted this all down for you to recreate this scrumptious and super satisfying sandwich as you wish. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
avocado toast & egg sandwich
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ Hass avocado, finely diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup packed fresh baby arugula
- Generous squirt (or splash) of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 large organic egg
- Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the olive oil. Pan-grill or grill both sides of the bread slices.
- Place the oil-brushed grilled side of each toast down on a plate or cutting board (Hint: It’ll look richer!). Add the avocado on top of both toasts. Smash and spread the avocado with a fork. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, toss the arugula with the generous squirt (or splash) of lemon juice. Add the dressed arugula on top of one of the avocado toasts.
- Heat the avocado oil in a cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium-high heat. When fully heated, add the egg and fry to desired doneness. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Transfer the egg to the avocado toast without the arugula.
- Form a sandwich, cut in half, and serve.
Per serving: 400 calories, 25g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 185mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 5g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 15g protein