(Click on photo for full-size image!)
Makes 20 servings: 1 sundae each
Chocolate-mint is my favorite flavor duo on the planet. If you feel the same, you’re definitely gonna wanna whip up this dessert soon. It can be a sweet treat for a party or a perfectly-portioned dessert just for you for the next 20 days!
These sundaes are like two treats in one. They’re made with fudgy vegan brownies and topped with dairy-free mint chip frozen dessert, providing a decadent bite that you can actually feel good about indulging in. The fresh mint accent makes these pretty personal-size sundaes extra special.
Party Tip: If you plan to serve these mini sundaes for a gathering, make the brownies in advance and chill overnight. When ready to serve, cut the brownies while still cool and arrange on a platter. Then just before serving, top each with the frozen dessert and drizzle with chocolate sauce. If you’d like to serve the brownies warm, place the chilled brownies on a microwave-safe platter and heat in the microwave until just warm, about 20 seconds or so, then top with the frozen dessert and chocolate sauce. Serve right away!
Calories saved: 80
1/2 cup canned, drained, no-salt-added black beans
1/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves
2 ounces silken organic tofu, well drained
1/4 cup no-sugar-added applesauce, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups turbinado (raw) sugar
1/4 cup virgin (unrefined) coconut oil or grapeseed oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips (55 to 60% cacao)
3 tablespoons plain unsweetened coconut milk beverage
2 1/2 cups mint chip frozen dessert, such as So Delicious Dairy Free Mint Chip Almond Milk Frozen Dessert or So Delicious Dairy Free Mint Chip Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert
10 fresh mint sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the bottom of an 8- x 8-inch (PFOA-free) nonstick baking pan with unbleached parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the beans, mint leaves, tofu, 2 tablespoons of the applesauce, and the vanilla to a food processor. Cover and puree.
- Stir together the bean mixture, sugar, oil, salt, and the remaining 2 tablespoons applesauce in a large saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook while very carefully stirring until the mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the baking chocolate and cocoa powder until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the flour until just combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake until the edges are springy to the touch, about 23 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool completely in the pan on a rack. When completely cool, cut into 20 bars. (The brownies will firm up as they cool.)
- For the topping, melt the chocolate pieces in a small, microwave-safe bowl in the microwave on HIGH power until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (Note: Microwave cooking times vary.) Whisk in the coconut milk beverage until a smooth sauce forms.
- Top each brownie with a 2-tablespoon scoop of the frozen dessert. Drizzle with the chocolate sauce, garnish with the mint sprigs, and serve.
Per serving: 190 calories, 9g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 31g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 20g sugars, 2g protein
The “Before” Recipe
chocolate mint brownies
Adapted from Taste of Home recipe
Makes 24 servings: 1 large bar or 3 small bars each
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 can (16 ounces) chocolate syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
3 drops green food coloring
1 package (10 ounces) mint chocolate chips
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking pan. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in syrup and vanilla until combined. Add the flour and salt; mix well. Pour into the prepared baking pan. Bake until the brownies are done, about 30 minutes. (Note: The top of brownies will still appear wet). Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar; add the water, extract and food coloring until blended. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate until set.
- For topping, melt chocolate chips and butter. Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spread over filling. Chill.
- Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.
Per serving: 270 calories, 16g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 85mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 25g sugars, 2g protein
- Replace all-purpose flour with whole-wheat pastry flour; whole grain products impart a pleasant slightly nutty taste
- Use real chocolate and cocoa, not chocolate flavored syrup that’s made with ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup, potassium sorbate (a preservative), polysorbate 60, and artificial flavoring.
- Consider using virgin coconut oil instead of butter to keep a recipe vegan and full flavored
- Simply NEVER use artificial green food coloring!