It’s April 22. Happy Earth Day, my fellow earthlings! There’s no more appropriate way to celebrate than with a bowlful of 100% plant-based goodness, right? This recipe is full of deliciousness, too. In honor of this eco-inspired day, as well the Recipe Redux theme-of-the-month (“Limpin’ Along for Lunch”), I bring you this super filling, superfood-style salad. But here’s a noteworthy tip: If your body isn’t used to getting plenty of fiber, you might actually want to first try a half serving of this recipe to start—so your digestive system doesn’t “freak out!” Either way, this scrumptious bowl will definitely help you break out of a lunchtime rut. Cheers to your palate and the planet!
Calories saved: 330
Why it’s better for you? Crazy (good) amount of fiber!
- 1 Hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced or cubed
- Juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup diced fresh papaya or mango
- 4 cups fresh baby kale or spinach
- 1 cup fresh pico de gallo, drained*
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 16 organic blue corn tortilla chips
- In a small bowl, gently toss together the avocado, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the lime juice, and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. In a second small bowl, stir together the beans, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, and ground coriander. In a third small bowl, gently toss together the papaya and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- In two large sealable bowls, arrange equal amounts of the kale and top with the pico de gallo, avocado mixture, bean mixture, papaya mixture, and scallions. (Alternatively, in two large jars, layer in order equal amounts of the pico de gallo, avocado mixture, bean mixture, papaya mixture, scallions, and kale.) Seal and chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to eat, fully toss the salad (or shake each jar). Break up the chips and sprinkle onto the salad. Serve with additional lime wedges on the side, if desired.
Per serving: 440 calories, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium, 65g total carbohydrate, 26g dietary fiber, 9g sugars, 18g protein
*Pick up freshly prepared (not jarred) pico de gallo from your local market. Or make 1 cup of your own pico de gallo: Combine 7/8 cup finely diced tomato (without pulp/seeds), 2 to 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, 1/8 teaspoon sea salt and, if desired, minced jalapeno to taste.
The “Before” Version
Compare to Fiesta Taco Salad
Per serving: 770 calories, 40g total fat, 10g saturated fat, 1g trans fat, 55mg cholesterol, 1590mg sodium, 76g total carbohydrates, 11g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 26g protein
- Go for richer flavor by choosing deeper greens in a salad, such as swapping baby kale in place of romaine or iceberg lettuce
- Include an extra splash of acid, like lime juice, to balance savory bitterness from darker salad greens
- Add one naturally sweet ingredient, such as fresh papaya, for extra interest in recipes with notable saltiness, like this salad