Makes 4 servings: 1/2 cup each
I’m on a chocolate-covered strawberry kick lately. Not such a bad thing, right?! So I’ve uncovered another way to enjoy this perfect pairing—in a lovely pudding with mousse-like appeal thanks to avocados. Savor it slowly with a dainty dessert spoon or by dipping more strawberries into it.
Calories saved: 480
Why it’s better for you: Avocados. Strawberries. No processed sugar. And it’s vegan!
2 large fully-ripened Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and quartered
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 strawberries, sliced + 4 whole strawberries
1/2 cup (100% fruit) seedless raspberry or strawberry fruit spread
1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste*
1/2 teaspoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Place the avocado, cocoa powder, sliced strawberries, fruit spread, vanilla extract, salt, and vinegar in a food processor. Cover and blend until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the pudding to small dessert dishes. Use a star-tipped pastry bag, if desired. Chill for at least 2 hours (or overnight) to fully set and allow flavors to blend.
- Top each with a strawberry. Enjoy the strawberry garnish as you’re enjoying the pudding. Serve alongside additional strawberries if you like, too.
Per serving: 220 calories, 13g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrate, 9g dietary fiber, 15g sugars, 3g protein
*If you’re not used to salt being a key taste in desserts, simply use a little less.
The “Before” Recipe
Per serving: 700 calories, 57g total fat, 35g saturated fat, 1g trans fat, 135mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 51g total carbohydrate, 5g dietary fiber, 39g sugars, 11g protein
- Avocado provides velvety creaminess and as much decadent mouth feel as heavy cream
- Whenever possible, choose sweetness the way nature intended, such as by way of fruit instead of processed white sugar
- A hint of aged balsamic vinegar helps to balance cocoa bitterness and enhance strawberry goodness while boosting overall taste enjoyment
- A pinch of sea salt helps to balance sweetness while boosting overall taste enjoyment
- Be patient; let these unique ingredient flavors marry before serving