Sure, a spinach and feta omelet is a comforting, breakfast-y pick. But how about a spinach and feta salad in the morning? Do it! I adore doing salad for breakfast or brunch. You get the deliciousness of an omelet along with extra nutritiousness. Plus, it’ll satisfy until your next meal without giving you that uncomfortably full feeling. In fact, don’t just reserve this salad for breakfast; it’s equally lovely for lunch or dinner. Hope you try it soon!
greek-inspired spinach breakfast salad
Yield: 1 serving
Serving size: 1 entrée salad
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill or small mint leaves (or mixture)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 large organic eggs*
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese or plant-based treenut cheese
- 5 whole grain pita chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the olive oil Add the baby spinach, dill and/or mint, and onion and toss to combine. Arrange on a plate.
- In a cast iron or other stick-resistant skillet over medium heat, fully heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add the eggs and fry until desired doneness.
- Arrange the fried eggs on the spinach salad. Sprinkle with the salt and hot pepper flakes. Top with the grape tomatoes and feta cheese. Serve with the pita chips.
Per serving: 370 calories, 24g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 380mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium, 21g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 4g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 18g protein
*If you’re more of a “one egg a day” kind of eater, just top this salad with one instead of two eggs!
The “Before” Version
Compare to greek spinach & feta omelet
- Transform egg dishes, like omelets, into inspired leafy salads.
- Add heirloom grape tomatoes for a pop of color and extra nutrition.
- Make your own pita chips for desirable crunch. See my recipe for za’atar pita chips. And for a serving twist, break up the pita chips and toss with the spinach in step 1.