You can’t “beet” this! While I adore hummus and baba ghanoush, I whip up this simple roasted beet dip when I want a change of taste. I love that all it takes is four ingredients—beets, tahini, lemon juice, and sea salt. It’s got the perfect touch of savoriness and hint of natural sweetness, too. Plus, it’s beyond gorgeous to look at, don’t you think?
If your beets have greens, just save them for a salad that you make separately. If you’re a citrus fan, then grate the lemon peel before juicing it and add desired amount of zest to the dip. And what if you don’t have the time to roast your own beet? You’re in luck. Roast the beet a day in advance. Or you can “cheat” and use 15 ounces of pre-cooked beets, like Love Beets.
My favorite way to enjoy this party-friendly plant-based recipe is by dipping into it with homemade pita chips. It pairs well with pumpernickel, too. Click here for one of my recipes. It’s delightful as a veggie burger topper for Meatless Monday,
easy roasted beet dip
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: about ¼ cup
- 1 large (about 15-ounce) beet without leaves
- ½ cup tahini, unsalted
- Juice of 1 lemon (3 tablespoons)*
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- A generous pinch of freshly ground, pan-toasted coriander seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° Wrap the beet in recycled aluminum foil. Roast until cooked through, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes. Then remove foil. Chill the unpeeled beet overnight in a covered glass bowl or container.
- Scrape off the beet skin with the back of a paring knife. Roughly chop the beet. Makes about 2 cups packed (14 ounces) roasted chopped beet.
- Add the chopped beet along with any residual juices, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and (if using) ground coriander to a blender. Puree on high speed until velvety smooth, at least 2 minutes. (Hint: If you need to add liquid for a thinner dip, ideally choose brewed unsweetened jasmine green tea and blend in by the teaspoon.)
- Transfer to a glass container or serving bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve.
*Hint: If you enjoy citrusy zing, grated zest from the lemon, too!
Per serving: 90 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 7g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 3g total sugars includes 0g added sugars, 3g protein