Makes 2 servings: 1 cup each
When you’d like a cocktail but are “craving” dessert, this frozen beverage has you covered. It’s like dessert in a glass, featuring the classic pairing of chocolate and strawberries. Delicious!
Disclosure note: I attended an event sponsored by the National Honey Board and received samples of honey. I was not paid for this posting. Recipe and opinions are my own.
Calories saved: 70
Why it’s better for you: There’s 1 entire cup of strawberries in each serving!
1/2 teaspoon honey* or agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
2 fluid ounces 80-proof vanilla vodka (1/4 cup)
1/2 fluid ounce chocolate liqueur (1 tablespoon)
8 ounces strawberries, frozen (2 cups)
1 tablespoon all-natural (100% fruit) seedless raspberry jam or fruit spread
1/2 cup sparkling seltzer water
- Rub the rim of 2 cocktail glasses with the honey, then dust with the cocoa powder to form a cocoa rim.
- Add the vodka, chocolate liqueur, strawberries, jam, and sparkling seltzer water to a blender container. Puree.
- Pour into the prepared glasses. Dust with any remaining cocoa powder, if desired, and serve immediately.
*Try avocado honey; it’s lovely paired with chocolate.
Per serving: 160 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 21g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 17g sugars, 1g protein
The “Before” Recipe
seasonal vodka gimlet
Per serving: 230 calories, 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 25g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 20g sugars, 0g protein
- Make real fruit the star in a cocktail, not just a flavoring
- It’s okay to go lighter on the amount of a spirit in an alcoholic beverage to cut calories; top off with sparkling seltzer water so the size of the drink is still plentiful
- Create a decadent effect by serving in a cocoa-rimmed glass