Makes 1 serving: 1 sandwich
One of the classic breakfast-on-the-go sandwiches is the McDonald’s Egg McMuffin®. Calorie-wise it’s actually a fine choice for fast food. But if you take a look at the actual ingredients, there are better for you and better tasting ways to savor an egg sandwich. I’ve got one for you! It’s a fully satisfying vegetarian version with 100% wholesome ingredients. The coolest part is the smoky portabella mushroom “steak” that creates flavor drama. It’s also fresher with wild arugula and livelier with sage and fresh lemon juice. Finally, the goat cheese provides a lovely sharpness in place of overly-processed cheese. Your tastebuds will be impressed!
Calories Saved: 70
1 whole grain English muffin, split
1/2 ounce soft goat cheese, such as Cypress Grove Chevre Humboldt Fog, crumbled
1 (4 1/2- to 5-inch) portabella mushroom cap
3/4 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon sea salt or smoked sea salt, or to taste
1 large organic egg
1/2 cup packed fresh wild or baby arugula
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Toast the English muffin halves. Transfer to a plate, cut side up. Sprinkle (or spread) both halves with the goat cheese. Set aside.
- Rub or brush the rounded side of the mushroom cap with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil, then sprinkle the gill side with the sage, pepper, and salt. Heat a nonstick (PFOA-free) skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the mushroom cap, gill side up, covered for 3 minutes. Reduce to medium heat and cook the mushroom cap gill side down, covered, until fully cooked, about 5 more minutes. Place gill side up on the bottom muffin half.
- Spritz the skillet with the remaining oil, place over medium-high heat, and fry the egg “over easy” or as desired, about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the flip side. Slide the egg onto the mushroom. Top with the arugula, sprinkle with the lemon juice, add the muffin top, and serve immediately.
Per serving: 300 calories, 13g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 195mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 28g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 5g sugars, 16g protein
The “Before” Recipe
egg, canadian bacon, and cheese on english muffin
inspired by the Egg McMuffin®
Makes 1 servings: 1 muffin
1 English muffin, split
1 slice pasteurized process American cheese
1 slice cured Canadian-style bacon
1 teaspoon liquid margarine
1 large egg
- Toast the English muffin halves. Transfer to plate, cut side up. Place the cheese slice on the bottom muffin half. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the Canadian-style bacon for 1 minute per side. Place on the top muffin half.
- Heat the margarine in the skillet over medium heat. Add the egg and fully cook on both sides. Slide the egg onto the cheese topped muffin half. Top with the Canadian-style bacon and muffin top. Wrap with parchment paper, and serve.
Per serving: 370 calories, 19 total fat, 6g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 215mg cholesterol, 1010mg sodium, 27g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 3g sugars, 20g protein
Note: The actual McDonald’s version is 300 calories.
- Pump up the vegetables to pump up volume and portion size, while adding more flavor interest with fewer calories
- Try the mushroom “swapability” approach; add mushroom(s) for extra veggie goodness while replacing meat
- Go for fresh instead of overly-processed cheese whenever possible; pick sharp, strong, smelly, or smoky choices for a boost of aroma and flavor
- Select whole grains instead of “white” grains for heartiness and nuttiness
- Use creative cooking techniques to create more deliciousness, such as is done here by covering the pan when cooking the portabella for smoky goodness